Thursday, May 11, 2006

Choosing

"Racism - like any other form of conflict - will
come to an end not through moral preachments or
appeals to such vague abstractions as
brotherhood. It is not bad intentions that keep
us apart, but our willingness to live outside
ourselves, and to identify with groups. We are
willing to inflict death and suffering upon
others not because we are filled with hate, but
because we have such an intense love for our
collective identity. We have subdivided our minds
into "exclusive developments," complete with
restrictive covenants to keep out the
"undesirables." [My emphasis] --Butler Shaffer

Well, I'll keep out undesireables in my world but
I don't give a shit which group they belong to.

Irrelevant.

I'll choose my own "brothers", one at a time.

I wasn't aware there was any other way to act.

Is there?