Friday, January 11, 2008

Doug Casey's predictions

Am I predicting the Greater Depression may be upon us? Let me preface my response with a disclaimer. I'm not a fortune teller. But my gut feel is: yes. I'm not going to mount all manner of statistics to buttress the assertion. My point here is to draw your attention to the fact that there's a lot that's likely to go wrong besides the central problem of the Business Cycle, a problem that is now evidenced in the collapsing housing sector and all the pain associated with that collapse.

The "other" problems now include the Forever War against Islam, peak oil, increasing political control over virtually all aspects of life, the potential for social unrest (within the U.S. Mexican community, for instance), the historically high level of foreign holdings of U.S. dollars, a rise in nationalism and protectionism, etc. While not always obvious, all of these things are related, so it's likely that when one of them starts running out of control, so will the others.
Full essay.