Thursday, December 23, 2004

A do-it-yourself project

But as I finished reading the Economist article,
I couldn’t help but ask myself: just how
different is the free world? We’re all human
beings. North Koreans who truly believe Kim Jong
Il to be the world’s greatest composer of opera
and the finest golfer ever to hit the links are
not fundamentally different from you and me.

Is there something about human beings that, when
circumstances trigger it, make us want to worship
other human beings? I fear that the answer is yes.

Don is right. Anyone reading my blog for a while
knows I agree. In spades. This worship could easily
be our death knell, or at the least our trap in some
surreal dead end.

At the end of his post, Don says, "Heaven help us."

But isn't that the problem with just a different
twist on the same 'worship', the same give-upitis?

Isn't it exclusively a do-it-yourself project?